Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Once upon a time, not long ago...

Wendy Darling: My unfulfilled ambition is to write a great novel in three parts about my adventures.
Aunt Millicent: What adventures?
Wendy Darling: I've yet to have them, but they will be perfectly thrilling.

Well, I can't say that it is my great ambition is to write a novel in three parts about my adventures, but it certainly is time to begin recording them. My adventures began the day I ended my old life and started my new one. I can't recall the exact date, but it was a bright, pleasant day in October. The sun was shining warm and bright, the billowy clouds drifted across the powder blue sky. The placid serenity was, sadly, not echoed in my soul. I gazed upon the wafting clouds and pondered.. "What am I doing? Where am I going? When did I veer so far off track and get to this point?" Things in my life were less than ideal. It seemed my life was made up of tendrils of Devil's Snare - (yes, I did just make a Harry Potter reference.) one tendril being the lackluster relationship I was entangled in, another tendril my career choice, with it's baffling standards for children and pointless edicts being handed down regarding my approach to the tasks at hand (the only high point being the smiles on my wonderful students faces and the encouragement of a few sincere friends.) The following tendril being the absence of scriptures, prayer, church meetings and, the Holy Ghost in my life, bringing with it the influence of less than wholesome activities and their sway on me.

As I look up into the clear blue sky, tears began to slide down my face. I chastised myself; "Where did the last 7 years go? Where did I GO the last 7 years? What in the world have I been doing?" I sent up a silent prayer, something I hadn't done in a very long while. I didn't know exactly how to get back on the right path, but I knew how to begin. I drove. The 15 minute ride seemed like hours crawling by, but I knew it had to be done. I crept into the house I shared with my (then) fiance and his family, and tearfully began to round up my personal belongings. I picked up a large box and began depositing my worldly belongings. Picture frame, yes. Cat toys, no. Clothing, yes. Jewelry, yes. Books, no. The process went on in this fashion for another 30 minutes, all the while my sweet, curious kitten Jasper loitering around the edge of the box, cocking his head to the side as if to say "What are you doing mama?"

The boxes containing my accouterments were stacked thoughtfully in the back of my truck; it was time for a final sweep of the room. As I looked dejectedly across my former living quarters, I felt a gentle push on my hand. Turning to the side, I was met by the wide, inquisitive, green eyes of my kitten Jasper. He mischievously nipped at my fingers, his favorite game to play. I slumped down to my bed, and scooped him up to say my final goodbyes. The emotions that rocked my soul came as a surprise - why was I having so much more intense feelings of sadness and loss in regards to this kitten than the person I spent 7 years building a life with? As distressed as I was, I knew I was on the right path. I gave Jasper one last scratch behind the ears, a feline greenie (his favorite treat) and slipped out of the house, just as quietly as I had slipped in 7 years prior.

The remainder of the day was spent wringing my hands while listening to comforting and encouraging words from family members. "You're doing the right thing, here." "This is for the best." "There are other fish in the sea." "We're here for you Nick - don't forget that." My mom did her best to alleviate my apprehension by reminding me of all the doors to new adventures that would soon be open to me.

The time finally came - to take the final step and escape the windy tendril of the Devil's Snare that was the relationship I was entrapped in. The ring was returned, words were exchanged (not all of them pleasant) and ways were parted. And I was free to heal, and start on my new adventures.

3 comments:

  1. WOW, Nicki...i can feel the emotion emanating from this. In fact, I feel like my own heart is hurting, I can feel how painful this moment in time must have been for you. I wish I'd have been there for you at this time. I'm sorry if ever in our friendship I haven't been the friend you needed. I'm glad that you're writing and healing. And even though I'm so far away now, I hope our friendship continues! I luv u Nicki!! *Natalie*

    ReplyDelete